The ECHO Volunteer Program, Beacons of Hope, is a vital part of the ECHO Cancer Foundation. Many of our volunteers are patients, survivors and family members of both present and past cancer patients. This group provides companionship and hospitality to patients and family during their office visits. For a cancer patient, sometimes besieged with masses of information, having someone other than a doctor or nurse to talk to who has had a similar experience may be reassuring and helpful.
Objectives of the ECHO Volunteer Program
- Assist persons with cancer, their families and caregivers to obtain physical, emotional and spiritual support.
- Help patients, family and caregivers find their strength by making resources available to them.
- Team with other community organizations in providing cancer related services.
- Forge a volunteer network for cancer patients, survivors, family, friends and caregivers.
A Volunteer Must Possess:
- The willingness to respect patient privacy within the ECHO setting
- A caring and compassionate heart
- Flexibility in dealing with a diverse public
- Effective listening skills
- Knowledge of available resources
- The commitment to have a positive impact on the lives of patients and their families
- A healthy attitude of self care
- Respect for the true joy in life and itís mysteries
If you are interested in becoming a “ Beacon of Hope” by volunteering for The ECHO Cancer Foundation or would like additional information please contact:
at 860.886.8362 ext.289
or email: email@example.com